"Ucla"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 25 03:24:33 UTC 2006

At 11:15 PM -0400 9/24/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Naturally, I agree with your assumption, Charlie. It's also the case
>that the local newspapers in L.A. often refer to UCLA teams as the
>"Uclans," based on the "Ucla" spelling, no doubt. I've never heard it
>spoken, but I would pronounce it "YOU clans."
>
>-Wilson

Yes, I remember that spelling in journalese, and agree that it
wouldn't be pronounced all that often, but I'd have thought the
second vowel was more of a schwa, not as in "YOU clans", but rhyming
with "Kuklans" (followers of Kukla in the wars against Fran and
Ollie, after The Great Schism).

LH (Uclan, '72)