"The Horla" [was "Danaergeschenk"]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Sep 26 12:47:11 UTC 2006

At 9/25/2006 06:50 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I recall reading the story in a book of horror stories that my
>grandfather had. I also heard it on the old radio horror show, "Inner
>Sanctum." It's a really scary story, regardless of how it's presented.
>It scared the shit out of me, IAC. There was another story in
>Granddad's book called The Horla, by Flaubert(?), that was also very
>frightening. Having it pop into my head would creep out a whole day.
>That's probably why I haven't re-read that story in sixty years.

"Le Horla" (1887) is by de Maupassant.  It is in the Penguin Classics
paperback "Selected Short Stories" (translation first published
1971).  Also http://gaslight.mtroyal.ab.ca/horlaX4.htm, where it is
given the title "The Horla, or Modern Ghosts." (I do agree with
Wilson, however, that it is chilling.)

Joel