when "intercourse" got funny

Leslie Savan lsavan at VERIZON.NET
Wed Sep 27 14:40:33 UTC 2006

"Intercourse" got funny, Paul Fussell wrote in The Great War and Modern
Memory, in the wake of WWI, which brought about a loss of innocence and a
rise of irony:
      "Another index of the prevailing innocence [before the war] is a
curious prophylaxis of language. One could use with security words which a
few years later, after the war, would constitute obvious double entendres.
One could say intercourse, or erection, or ejaculation without any risk of
evoking a smile or a leer." (p.23)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Lighter" <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: when "intercourse" got funny

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: when "intercourse" got funny
-----

> That's right. But as I remember it, the "talk" solution was more often
(i.e., maybe from three out of the four teens I observed, the fourth being
me) was greeted with puzzlement and skepticism.  So the joke must be rather
older.

>   JL
> Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Charles Doyle
> Subject: Re: when "intercourse" got funny
-----

> Wasn't the mid-1960s about the time when we started hearing the riddle
(belonging to the genre that was being discussed on this list a few months
ago), "What's a 4-letter word ending with '-k' that means 'intercourse'?"?
The wit of the riddle depends on the word's having as its primary (or at
least its first-thought-of) meaning "copulation" but also on the awareness
of "talk" as a possible meaning.

> --Charlie

"intercourse" could be used with a perfectly innocent meaning. Now, of
course, its denotation has narrowed so drastically that it is impossible to
use the word in nonsexual contexts without eliciting counterproductive,
muffled guffaws.

> > Just when the innocent era came to an end is not clear, but the
benchmark in my own memory is 1964 when mention of the Non-Intercourse Act
of 1809 caused such wordless mirth in my co-ed high-school American History
class that Mr. Callahan had to tell us to get serious, that's what they
called it.

> > And yet, also in 1964, the novelist and critic George P. Elliott was
publishing the following sentence in which he attempted to characterize the
novel as a genre :

> > "The content of the [ideal] novel as here defined is intercourse among a
few credible characters and between them and the reader, who knows them by
their public actions, their intimate words, and their unrecognized
impulses."

> > Elliott was born around 1920. Could the shift have occurred so late in
his life that he didn't realize the umhilarity in what he was writing ? Or
was his mind clouded by his doctorate in literature ?