when "intercourse" got funny

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 27 16:48:38 UTC 2006

I believe the answer to Arnold's question is yes.  But I think "intercourse" is funnier than the other words mentioned because not only does it have two recognized meanings, they share ceratin semantic features, the one sense being originally a narrowing of the other.

  That makes puns, intended and otherwise, a lot easier.

  My suspicion is that "intercourse" became really funny only when the sexual sense had become truly primary and the wider sense familiar to fewer and fewer speakers. Such speakers would almost have to start laughing or squirming when they heard the word used in a nonsexual way because

  a) the sexual sense could fit the context hilariously and/or

  b) since the sexual sense was the only one they knew, they would be laughing nervously with embarrassment, surprise, puzzlement, etc.  Witnessing this could confirm onlookers in the belief that "now" the word "really" had a sexual meaning only; all but the bravest would then desist from using it in other contexts, thus making the sexual sense even more primary.

  This hasn't happened with "congress" because the governmental sense is predominant enough to keep the word from narrowing.  One might contrast the career of "occupy," which eighteenth-cenury writers allegedly began avoiding in droves because it had become sexualized; there was no social counterbalance to keep the word innocent.  But eventually everybody forgot the sexual meaning, which seems remarkable in itself.

  Since Paul Fussell served in WWII, his observation is good evidence that "intercourse" was funny by then. As for the 1920s - well, the documentation isn't in yet.

  George P. Elliott (culturally quite conservative, BTW) also served in WWII; awareness of the intellectual readership of the _Virginia Quarterly_ evidently did cloud his mind at the critical moment.

  Which is our gain.

  JL