purple drank, lean

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 28 19:46:09 UTC 2006

"Purple _drank_"? It's more likely to be "purple _drink_," with
"drank" being a pronunciation spelling, ah thank.

-Wilson

On 9/28/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      purple drank, lean
>
> -----
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060928-9999-1s28chargers.html
> San Diego Union-Tribune, Sep. 28, 2006
> Fernandes said codeine-based cough syrup can be used to enhance,
> mitigate or temper other drugs, including cocaine and PCP. The DEA
> also has noted widespread abuse of codeine-based cough syrup in Texas,
> mixed with soft drinks such as Sprite and referred to as "purple
> drank" or "lean," which refers to the effect of users losing their
> coordination. It is said to be popular in the South and on the Texas
> rap scene.
> -----
>
> More here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Drank
>

> --Ben Zimmer

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens