vote early and often

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 28 23:39:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> Chicago Press and Tribune, Aug. 30, 1858, p. 3 [HNP 724409282]
> The down-trodden Dutch and Irish, who, by the bigotry of Louisiana
> were precluded from voting in New Orleans, were enabled, by voting
> early and often, to turn the State over from Clay to Polk.

Here's earlier evidence:

1856 _Macon Weekly Telegraph_ 30 Dec. 1 (America's Historical Newspapers)
"Did ye vote yesterday, Michael?"  "Sure I did, according to the
instructions!"  "And what were the instructions?"  "Didn't you hear them?
-- _vote early and often!_"

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS