Earlier Known Usage of "Sod"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 2 16:13:02 UTC 2007

The Old Bailey Online has a printed "sod------l" (for "sodomitical") from so early as 1759, with another from 1785:

  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/facsimiles/1750s/175907170008.html

  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/facsimiles/1780s/178512140117.html

  This printing practice (if widespread) might have encouraged shortening in speech.  Here is the earliest Old Bailey ex., from 1814 :

  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/facsimiles/1810s/181407060006.html

  "_A_....The other man, I saw the blow coming, I stooped my head, and in stooping
I fell. Ashton directly collared me; he called me a b - y sod, and said he would take me to the guard-house.
  "_Q._ He called you a sod; did you know what he meaned by that expression - _A_. I know now; I did not at that time. He said he would take me to the guard-house."

  "Bloody" was apparently more offensive than "sod."

  JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Earlier Known Usage of "Sod"

Question for Jonathon Green, Jon Lighter, etc.: The OED's first use for
_sod_ 'sodomite' is dated c1855. Has anyone found earlier evidence than
this?

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press
Yale Law School ISBN 0300107986
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.