Guard-house" once = "jail / gaol"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 3 01:44:23 UTC 2007

As a WAG, it could be the case that there was no need to distinguish a
guardhouse from a stockade or other actual jail until after there
developed a distinction between a slick-sleeve pulling guard duty only
because his name has happened to come up on a duty roster and a
(semi-)professional military policeman trained to maintain order and
otherwise to act as a "peace officer."

Even though "guard house" used as an informal term for a military jail
in the U.S. Army may predate WWI, this use was totally obsolete in the
post-Korea "black-shoe" Army. Otherwise, I would never have wondered
how a term that didn't exist in the military had come to be so
prevalent among civilians. Nevertheless, I blush (take my word for it)
to admit that, not until I found myself for the first time in an
actual guard house, preparing for guard duty, did it occur to me that
"guard house" was not military jargon for "jail."

-Wilson

-----