Hi!... BTW

Rachel Berardinelli rachelb at UNM.EDU
Wed Apr 4 01:25:37 UTC 2007

tl;dr

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:36:51 -0400
  James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA> wrote:
>-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society
><ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
> Subject:      Re: Hi!
>
>>My, what charming language!
>
>Funny that she goes off on technical competence but can't
>figure out
> how to go to
> http://www.americandialect.org/index.php/amerdial/ads_l_the_american_dialect_society_email_discussion_list/
> and read the instructions: "To leave the list at any
>time, send
> "SIGNOFF ADS-L" the complete body of an email message
>from the
> account which you would like to unsubscribe, to
> listserv at listserv.uga.edu." Highly intelligent people
>make slips of
> the finger all the time, but most of them can find out
>how to do what
> they want to do when they really want to do it.
>
> I was hoping there would be some fascinating usage in
>her email to
> focus on. Perhaps the most interesting question raised
>is how long
> "retarded" has been a common childish term of abuse.
>When I was a kid
> in the '70s, it was common among elementary and
>junior-high kids but
> faded a bit among high-schoolers and was uncommon, if
>memory serves,
> among university students (mid-'80s). But that was in
>Calgary.
>
> OED only gives the technical meaning; it doesn't give
>citations for
> the abusive meaning. I'm sure a probable date of
>incipience for the
> term of abuse could be estimated on the basis of when it
>came into
> common usage in the primary-school educational context;
>there would
> be some latency, no doubt, before it first appeared in
>print in that
> usage, little kids not being much for publishing.
>
> As to Ms. Berardinelli I hope some of her professors are
>on this
> list. But then they probably know what a sweetheart she
>is already.
> Next year, University of New Mexico will unleash this
>scintillating
> intellect on the world! (Assuming she doesn't flunk
>out.) Where, if
> she's lucky, she'll get her butt kicked enough times by
>enough people
> (metaphorically, of course) that she'll smarten up and
>grow up. She's
> studying anthropology. How sweet! I just can't wait to
>see what kind
> of success she'll have with research when she has no
>patience or
> concern for others.
>
> (How do I know all this? Because, like anyone at all, I
>can find it
> out with the easiest Google search. On her myspace page
> [...]

“The aim of life is self-development. To realise one’s
nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for.
People are afraid of themselves, nowadays. They have
forgotten the highest of all duties, the duty that one
owes to one’s self. Of course they are charitable. They
feed the hungry, and clothe the beggar. But their own
souls starve, and are naked. Courage has gone out of our
race. Perhaps we never really had it.”
© Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray