Checkmating -- Is This Usage Exceptional?

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Wed Apr 4 02:00:34 UTC 2007

It doesn't ring any bells with me on the medical side of military jargon,
although the speaker could be from the behavioral health
(psychiatry/psychology/social work) arena, as we have finally started
learning to put those forward with the line units.  Could be chaplain-speak,
too.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Harris" <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:13 AM
Subject: Checkmating -- Is This Usage Exceptional?

A caption in Monday NYT:

Soldiers grieved together after the memorial service for Sergeant Sebban. In
the military, "cultural norms, if you will, checkmate a lot of guys from
healthy grieving," said Major Fenton. "One of the jobs I have is to give
them permission to do that."

----
His meaning is obvious, but the usage struck me as a bit odd. Is this,
perhaps, simply a military-speak coinage with which I am unfamiliar?