phunk/phunky?

Oliver Wang oliverwang at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Apr 4 03:30:15 UTC 2007

I came upon a 1966 album by NY Latin artist Ricardo Ray that uses the
term "phunky":

"While performing at various swinging spots in and around New York
City, Richie was attracted to a new type of dance motion when he
played some of his "PHUNKY" Cha Chas."

Note: the original text puts "PHUNKY" in caps, that is not my emphasis.

Later, in the same text, the term is used again:

"To this we add the 'PHUNKINESS' toward which the Ricardo Ray
Orchestra has been inclined since we originated."

I searched the ADS-L archives for any previous usage of "phunk" or
"phunky" but termed up nothing. Has anyone come across this
particular spelling from any earlier texts?

Thanks,

O.W.
--
OLIVER WANG, PhD