"Speak softly and carry a big stick" letter worth $200,000?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 4 19:14:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> April 4, 2007 -- ARDMORE, Pa. - The original letter in which Theodore
> Roosevelt first used the phrase "Speak softly and carry a big stick" is up for
> sale, with an asking price of $200,000.
> The two-page typed letter was written by Roosevelt on Jan. 26, 1900, and
> mailed to Henry Sprague, a member of the Union League Club in New York.
> "I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry
> a big stick; you will go far.' "

I should find an earlier occurrence of the phrase and blackmail them with
the threat of revealing it...

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986