"Plain bays for Jenny's"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 6 00:56:36 UTC 2007

 From a mid-18th century newspaper article, datelined London:

"Several fine Ladies who used to wear French Silks, French Hoops of
four Yards Wide, Tete de Mouton Heads (or Bob Wigs) and with Sattin
Smock Petticoats &c are turned Methodists, and Followers of Mr.
Whitefield, whose Doctrine of the New Birth has so prevail'd over
them, that they now wear plain Stuff Gowns, no Hoops, common
Night-Mobs and plain Bays for Jenny's."

I've been asked, "What are 'Jenny's'?"  I'm assuming simply the
female name, and an erroneous "y's" instead of "ies".

(The second question I've been asked is "What are 'plain Bays [for
Jenny's]'?", but that may be outside the scope of ADS-L.  I assume
"bays" is "baize".)

Joel