Pontius "Pie Late"; prolific

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 6 15:54:39 UTC 2007

In the story of the person who supposedly said? / wrote? "Pontius the
Pilot," that person at least had the grace to be an elementary-school
child and not an adult "earning" my annual pension in a week.

OTOH, why in hell *isn't* Pilate pronounced "Pie Late"? (In truth, I
don't really care. The question is merely rhetorical.)

-Wilson

On 4/6/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Pontius "Pie Late"; prolific
>
> Fox News alum Kiran Chetry, now of CNN, just mentioned Pontius / 'paileit / in a Good Friday story.
>
>   On the same show, an FBI spokesman explained that the fugitive from yesterday's New Jersey shooting is "prolific and dangerous."  Wha ?  He's likely to have more criminal kids before he's caught ?
>
>   JL

> Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin