fag out

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 7 18:29:28 UTC 2007

At 10:33 AM -0700 4/7/07, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>as the chief editor on the Fag Desk at Language Log Plaza, i've been
>passed some stuff about CBS basketball analyst Billy Packer on "The
>Charlie Rose Show".  a recent report on
>
>   http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/news/celebrity/
>mmx-0704050184apr05,0,608055.story
>
>says:
>
>As the interview concluded, Rose said to Packer: "Do you need a
>runner this Final Four? Because I could jump on a plane and I could
>be there."
>
>Packer: "You always fag out on that one for me."

One factor that Arnold, in his otherwise characteristically
comprehensive and convincing analysis, doesn't mention is that the
dative here, which looks at first glance like a (non-argument)
benefactive, is an oddly flagged MALefactive or adversative.  This is
like the dative used in various languages (e.g. German) that's often
termed an ethical dative, marking someone affected positively or
negatively by the action who is not necessarily a participant in the
action.  Such malefactives/adversatives in English are usually marked
with "on" ("he up and died on me", "the engine (up and) died on me"),
but here there's already an "on" used for the goal or whatever, and
an on NP on NP sequence--"You always fag out on that on me"--sounds
odd, whence the switch to "for".

As for the verbal construction itself, my first thought (when I saw
the coverage on ESPN) was that this was simply an unaccusative "Y
fags out", i.e. an intransitive with an underlying object and no
subject that corresponds to the transitive use in "X fagged Y out",
which would hence indeed involve "no sexual connotation" in Packer's
terms, and that "That fagged him out" and "He fagged out on that" are
in some sense paraphrases, but Arnold's close scrutiny shows that
this assumption was too facile by half.  (For one thing, "That
pussied/wimped me out" are impossible alongside "I pussied/wimped
out".)

By the way, if Billy Packer honestly believes that (Charlie Rose
aside) nobody who has ever been "voted one of the most eligible
bachelors" is gay, as he seems to be claiming, he's much more naive
than I'd have guessed.

LH