Trademarks Lexis and Lexus (was nexis is baffling)

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Mon Apr 9 15:03:22 UTC 2007

Lexus means nothing like Cingular or Verizon mean nothing. Or, worse,
National Grid (a utility), which _sounds_ like it means something, but
translates to many customers as "natural greed". They see this upstart from
Britain (where the name supposedly does have a meaning) as adding too little
value in its electricity-delivery service to justify the rates charged.
I could give a bunch of other marketing-word examples if any sprang to
mind. (As could anyone in this group.) Alas, most of these names do NOT
spring immediately to mind -- in part because one can't, looking at them,
imagine how they're supposed to be pronounced.
(I can't recall: Did Xerox ever have this
what's-it-mean/how-do-you-pronounce it problem?)
(the other) doug