What is the least used letter?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 10 00:08:12 UTC 2007

At 11:22 AM -0700 4/9/07, David Borowitz wrote:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequencies
>
>Z. If you don't believe it, it's quick and easy to count letter frequencies
>in large corpora.

So, sic transit gloria ETAOIN SHRDLU.  Not that this deviates
wildly--the difference between "u" and "c" is presumably within the
margin for error.  And "Etaoin shrdlcu" is harder to pronounce (much
less to name memorable characters in novels after; I refer of course
to the eponymous hero of _The Circus of Dr. Lao_).

As for the bottom-dwellers, this count does restore one's faith in
Scrabble (10 points for Q/Z, 8 for X/J, etc.).

LH