accusative cursing

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Tue Apr 10 03:46:11 UTC 2007

In the 50s in Louisville, KY, I had a couple (of) doublets clearly
pronounced differently and clearly situationally determined.  Adam and Eve
were naked.  When real people took their clothes off, they were neked.  God
cursed people, and therefore sent them to hell or whatever.  Cursing was
left to God.  Cussing was what the rest of us did.  In the heat of cussing,
damn and goddamn somehow were not cursing, although, when God did it, it was
cursing.  Cussing covered all (of) the other traditionally taboo words and
phrases as well. although cursing did not.  I reckon when you grow up in a
border state, you are forever linguistically compromised, dazed, and
confused.

JCS

Jonathan Lighter writes:

> Not surprisingly, Charlie is correct to point out that in today's world Americans at least  apply the terms "curse" and "curse- (_or_ cuss-) word" "indiscriminantly to scatological, sexual, or any other indecorous language," though I believe it has to be pretty seriously "indecorous" to make the grade.  This fact of usage is not well communicated by the OED entries.
>
>   In the '50s, "ass" (not the equine) was a "curse-word."  As a group, the New Yorkers I knew divided usage between "curse" and "cuss." (The phonemic difference was usually clear, BTW.)  "Profanity" and "profane" were similarly applied.
>
>   A comic recollection.  In junior high I had a copy of Churchill's _The Gathering Storm_.  I mentioned,  to my friend, not altogether innoocently,"There's a chapter called 'The Rape of Czechoslovakia.'"
>
>   Ever the provocateur, he ran yelling to my grandmother, "Jon is using profound language !"
>   Sic.
>
>   A simpler time.
>
>   JL
>

>   Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:

James C. Stalker
Department of English
Michigan State University