Trademarks Lexis and Lexus (was nexis is baffling)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Apr 10 13:51:10 UTC 2007

>I recall reading about it in the pages of _Word Ways_, but I may have
>some of the particulars wrong. Perhaps Borgmann was called in as a
>consultant to select the final choice from a computer-generated short
>list.
>
>At the moment the only source I can pull up is Borgmann's obit in the
>Chicago Tribune (Dec 11, 1985):

I'm pretty much in the same boat for the "standard" story. I've seen it
repeated in multiple secondary sources, often with changing details, but no
primary sources. I've never seen mention of Borgmann, but it wouldn't be
surprising for them to have pulled a linguist into the renaming project.