site seeing

Tue Apr 10 18:30:58 UTC 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 1:29 PM, James Harbeck wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I'm seeing "site seeing" and "seeing the sites"
> rather more often than "sightseeing" and "seeing the sights" now. No
> doubt the use of "site" in web parlance has an important effect on
> this, although the phrase is always used in reference to seeing
> actual places, never websites.

not in the ecdb.

most of the webhits for "site-seeing" and "see the sites" are, not
surprisingly, about websites.  the "see the sites" hits for actual
places (a walk through Newark, a walk through Queens, etc.) can be
understood as literally referring to sites -- places of historical or
cultural interest.  anybody have good cites (hah!) where this
interpretation is unlikely?

arnold