relishes / revels in

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Apr 11 03:40:13 UTC 2007

I used to work with a copywriter who used "relish in" as a
verb-preposition combination all the time, usually in the imperative:
"relish in a full-serive production company..." I invariably changed
it to "revel in" or "relish" or something else entirely before it hit
the public (editor's privilege!). I've seen it elsewhere once or
twice, I think in a subway ad at least once, but I don't have the
source noted. It doesn't cross my field of vision often, but "relish
in a" gets 15,000 Google hits, and of the first 50, 8 are this usage
(the other 42 use it according to the standard), extrapolating to
2400 of this in total.

James Harbeck.