STOP SENDING ME MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Apr 11 03:58:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 11:49:26PM -0400, James Harbeck wrote:
> I'm beginning to get the impression that the unsubscribe feature, as
> listed at
> http://www.americandialect.org/index.php/amerdial/ads_l_the_american_dialect_society_email_discussion_list/
> (wherein one sends  "SIGNOFF ADS-L" as the complete body of an email
> message from the account which one would like to unsubscribe, to
> istserv at listserv.uga.edu), may not be working properly.

It's working fine. People just don't bother to figure out how
to do it (as you observe, there's an explanation on the ADS
website, a link to which is provided in every ADS-L message,
and the welcome message explicitly tells people how to do it).

I manually unsubscribed Mr. Lynch, as I do to everyone who
sends this sort of message.

> By the way, has anyone else gotten emails from a Doreen Baylus asking
> them to take her off their list?

Not me, but there is a drbaylus at earthlink.net (with "Your Name"
as the name) subscribed to ADS-L. If this is the same person it's
possible that she was either subscribed against her will or is just
sick of ADS-L and for some reason is telling you rather than the
list as a whole, the list owner(s), etc.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED
co-listowner, ADS-L