Chocolate Brownies (1903)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 11 05:04:34 UTC 2007

Wednesday's New York Times food section has a story on "brownies."  Like the
previous story on "eggs Benedict," no serious food scholar was  consulted.
Maybe Andy Smith has a NY Times block on his caller ID and spam  filters?
"The brownie first caught the public imagination in the 1920s"?? No mention
of Palmer Cox's brownies? No mention of blondies? This is the lead food
article  in the friggin' New York Times?
Why do I bother to read the newspaper? Why don't I just hit myself in the
goddamn head, and make believe I'm reading the New York Times?
_http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/dining/11brow.html?ref=dining_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/dining/11brow.html?ref=dining)
“Our father loved the Bangor brownies,” Ms. Brass said. Some legends place
the first brownies in Bangor, Me. The classic recipe, dating to the early
1900s,  calls for just two ounces of chocolate. To a modern palate, that amount is
 practically imperceptible. Older recipes reflect the ingredients of their
time,  when chocolate for the masses was still new, exotic and relatively
expensive.  The first American chocolate factories were concentrated in New England,
and it  was there that the brownie first caught the public imagination, in
the 1920s.
_Palmer  Cox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Cox)      Due to the popularity of Cox's Brownies,  one of the first
popular handheld ... Palmer Cox's Brownie  books: each time they come to a new
illustration, ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Cox -  20k
_http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:686819/display.html?n=1&scope=full
text&pageNum=1&currentSort=&mode=list_
(http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:686819/display.html?n=1&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=&mode=list)
13 December 1903, Washington (DC) Times, pg. 16 ad:
Chocolate Brownies.