Skin In The Game

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 16 15:48:21 UTC 2007

Doug Harris wrote:
> Sorry, I _meant_ to say cricket, not soccer.
> --
> Still, the original meaning is a long way from the usage being
> applied today. Not that that's uncommon, but by taking the hat
> (award) away, one removes the 'value' of the cliché, such as it
> is.
> And one of the dumbest things about the use (as in the hockey
> situation) of a term such as this is that, so far as I know,
> little effort is ever made to explain its meaning, in context,
> to readers of or listeners to sports reports.

Actually, on sports fan newsgroups and bulletin boards, this is
considered enough of a FAQ that when the question arises (as it does
regularly) complex riffs arise, to the point of it being performance art.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963