Railroad cart

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 18 14:41:03 UTC 2007

Obviously 'cause when they're still alive they're "mortal."

  Though somebody who's going to be "immortal" after he's dead is likely to be "legendary" while he's alive.

  JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: Railroad cart

--0-1832785306-1176901533=:40151

On 4/17/07, Se=E1n Fitzpatrick requested a term f=
or
> =09=09 the small, four-wheeled, man-powered
> carts used by railroad maintenance crews. They often had a two-man
> rocker crank handle, although the one in this picture seems to have a=20
rotary
> crank handles.

Benjamin Zimmer suggested

"Hand-car" is one name for it. OED def: "a light car propelled by
cranks or levers worked by hand, used in the inspection and repairing
of a railway line."

As featured in the movie _O Brother Where Art Thou?_:
http://www.stangarner.com/obrother.html
<<<<

And the immortal Edward Gorey's "The Willowdale Handcar" (hyphen?).

(Why do we call people "immortal" only after they're dead?)

m a m

--0-1832785306-1176901533=:40151--

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.