accusative cursing

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 18 21:21:49 UTC 2007

Speaking of /waz/, in BE as I know it, [waz], [w^z], and [w at z] (both =
"wuz" in eye-dialect) occur. But the latter two occur only away from
stress. I was in my thirties before I became aware of the fact there
are other dialects in which "was" is pronounced [w^z], even under
citation stress. A TA casually mentioned it in a phonetics class, just
as though that pronunciation in that environment were perfectly
ordinary. Since that time, I've come to notice that many, many BE
pronunciations that I use and which I had always considered to coinide
with Northern-white pronunciations in fact do not. No wonder that that
dialect test from a couple of months back had only a single comment on
my speech pattern: "Southern." It just goes to show you. The phonetics
of so-called "General American" can't be learned from a book.

-Wilson

On 4/14/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: accusative cursing
>
> Around here many folks say / waz /.  One of them must have introduced "wuz" to indicate phonetic deviance.
>
>   JL
>
> Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

"Experience" is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again.