"Winningest" -- a proper word?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 21 18:13:27 UTC 2007

>From today's Austin American-Statesman. Any comments?
_http://www.statesman.com/search/content/life/stories/other/04/21/0421greig.ht
ml_
(http://www.statesman.com/search/content/life/stories/other/04/21/0421greig.html)

Q: Is "winningest" a proper word? I hear it often in sports commentary, but
it always strikes me as a bit off. For example: "John Force is the winningest
drag racer of all time."
— Michael D.
A: I agree. "Winningest" is listed as an informal adjective in a few
dictionaries, including the American Heritage Dictionary of the English  Language,
but I did not find it in the Oxford English Dictionary.
The scholars at the University of Texas grammar hot line, 475-8372, said
"winningest" is not a good word  choice.
(OED)
winning, ppl. a.

2. Gaining, or resulting in, victory or superiority in a  contest or
competition; victorious. In U.S. colloq. use also in superlative. winning hazard: see
_HAZARD_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/crossref?query_type=fulltext&queryword=winningest&first=1&max_to_show=10&search_spec=fulltext&sort_type=alpha&search_
id=yCgj-suaWSR-3723&control_no=50285956&result_place=1&xrefword=hazard&ps=n.)
 n. 7b. winning stroke, a stroke that gains a point in a  game, or one by
which the game is won.
1592  _SHAKES._ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-s2.html#shakes)
Rom. & Jul. III. ii. 12 Learne me  how to loose a winning match. 1609  _HOLLAND_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-h3.html#holland)  Amm. Marcell. 290
Contemning  that Emperour who everie where in civile warre went away on the
winning hand. 1822  _SCOTT_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-s.html#scott)  Nigel Introd. Epist., I am not  displeased to find the game a winning one.
1855  Poultry Chron. II. 486 Neither  should I have given the first place to
the winning Dorking cock. 1860  LÖWENTHAL  Morphy's Games Chess 56 The
winning move. 1884  Marshall's Tennis Cuts 114 In  playing against a fine player, it
is imperative to go for a winning-stroke  whenever there is a fair opening.
1974  State (Columbia, S. Carolina) 5 Mar. 6-A/7 John Bates, coach of
Maryland-Eastern Shore, at 26-1 the winningest college  basketball team in the nation.
1979  Tucson (Arizona) Citizen 20 Sept. 5D/1 Slota defeated  Sarah Cap, the
winningest active greyhound with 113 career  victories. 1985  Dirt Bike Mar.
23/2 (Advt.),  That's the moment you know what the winningest racers and most
satisfied riders  know.