change from the bottom up was re: accusative cursing

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 21 21:06:14 UTC 2007

I, OTOH, have never come across "es oh you el" before, only "ess oh
el.". And I've heard "SOL" expanded only as "shit outta luck." FWIW,
I've long been under the impression that "shit outta luck" is the
antecedent of "SOL." However, I admit my impressions have turned out
to be wrong on all-too-many other occasions.

What does "... '[S]oul' mean[s] 'shwarza kupf'" mean?

-Wilson

On 4/21/07, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>
> Subject:      Re: change from the bottom up was re: accusative cursing
>
> I can't recall ever before having seen "SOL" in writing, but I am familiar with it as a verbal expression, always said as "es oh you el".  This latter is interesting as a piece of VERBAL eye-dialect, since it obviously stands for "shit out uv luck".
>
> I've never been able to figure out if there was any connection between "es oh you el" and the word "soul" meaning "shwarza kupf".
>
>     - Jim Landau

> Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

-----
                                                      -Sam'l
Clemens
------
The tongue has no bones, yet it breaks bones.

                                           Rumanian proverb