English makes you fat

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Tue Apr 24 03:00:57 UTC 2007

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

English Makes You Fat

According to researchers at the Mayo Clinic, speaking English as a
second language makes you fat. ... doctors studying children enrolled
in Head Start programs in southern Minnesota have concluded that
being Mexican and speaking English as a second language are both
independent predictors of childhood obesity.  Immigration reformers,
quick to label Spanish as the language of the ghetto, are likely to
eat this news up..... Americans are already dangerously overweight.
The Centers for Disease Control report that one third of American
adults and 17% of our children and teenagers are obese.  Still more
are at risk for obesity.  Adding English to our steady diet of junk
food and our sedentary lifestyle can only make things worse for
immigrants. .... But before we blame bilingualism again, before we
put a Surgeon General’s warning on our English textbooks, before we
stamp out what little foreign language may be left in America in the
interests of reducing the national body-mass index, there’s another
possibility that the Mayo Clinic researchers might want to explore ...

to find out what it is, read the whole post and more on the Web of
Language:

www.uiuc.edu/goto/weboflanguage

Best,

DB