More on "calvary"

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 24 15:38:02 UTC 2007

I found no entry for "calvery" (with an e) in the American Heritage
Dictionary at dictionary.com.

Besides the misspelling, I believe this is a malaproprism, since the
military fighting unit is a "cavalry" and not a "calvary."   The main  entry for
"calvary" (usually capitalized) follows:

_Dictionary.com  Unabridged (v 1.1)_
(http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html)  - _Cite This Source_
(http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=calvary&ia=luna)
Cal·va·ry
(https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/calvary)   /ˈkælvəri/ Pronunciation Key -
Show Spelled  Pronunciation[kal-vuh-ree] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA
Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ries for 2,  3.     1. Golgotha, the place where Jesus was
crucified. Luke 23:33.      2. (often  lowercase) a sculptured representation of
the Crucifixion, usually  erected in the open air.     3. (lowercase) an
experience or occasion of extreme suffering, esp.  mental suffering.

_American Heritage  Dictionary_
(http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4.html)  - _Cite This Source_
(http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=calvary&ia=ahd4)

None of the 10 entries, in fact, gives any military  connection whatsoever.
The only connection I can think of between a  cavalry and a calvary, is that
having a cavalry charge at you might induce  extreme suffering, mental and
otherwise!

Rosemarie

If I was ever tested for attention deficit disorder, I don't remember  it.

In a message dated 4/24/2007 9:25:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,