More on "calvary"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 25 12:11:10 UTC 2007

Around here a great many people say "larnyx" for larynx. As well as "calvary" for "cavalry."

JL

sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM> wrote: ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society
Poster:       sagehen
Subject:      Re: More on "calvary"

 Larry writes:
>Note along the same lines "irrevelant" for "irrelevant".  77,700 hits
>for the former, many of them not prescriptive tracts bemoaning the
>malapropism.  Of course here there's no "irrevelant" to confuse it
>with, but the influence of "irreverent" may be not entirely
>irrelevant.  Along the l/r lines, there's also "heffalump" for
>"elephant", mutatis mutandis.
>
>LH
~~~~~~~~~
Integral/intregal comes to mind as one among a number of common mistakes of
this class; that is, where there is no second real word, but the order of
consonants presents a trap for the unwary. I know there are others, but
can't think of them at the moment.  As the bumbliness of age grows on me,,
I sometimes jib a bit before taking a run at some words that I haven't had
occasion to use for quite a while.
AM

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.