yet another dirty potsing from GAT

Wed Apr 25 17:01:10 UTC 2007

You've been warned, mind.  There's a parental discretion flag flying.

My email filter has dedicated itself to protecting me from villainous company and low thoughts, which it supposes requires that it keep me from receiving emails from myself.  The bounce-back from ADS-L of this one isn't going to get through.

Cunt Sucker.

This very useful term is in HDAS in its pejorative sense (#2) only from 1964, citing William Burroughs (no surprise).  In the descriptive sense, (#1), HDAS has a stray English citation from 1868, then a US cite from 1940.  A 1942 cite from Henry Miller sure sounds pejorative, but no doubt the full unquoted passage justifies putting it in #1.  Jonathon's Cassell's has 1960+ for the pejorative, 1940+ for the descriptive.

New York Rises: Photographs by Eugene de Salignac from the Collectiuons of the New York City Department of Records/Municipal Archives (NY: Aperture, 2006) reproduces photos taken in the first third of the 20th century by a city employe.  A phtot dated September 18, 1911 shows a chalkboard in a workroom with the message

Connolly don't want to work [several illegible words] a day for a fuck like the English Cunt Sucker.  (page 30)

GAT

George A. Thompson