Gustando (gust + tornado) (1991)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 26 05:45:05 UTC 2007

A weather formation whipped through the Texas-Mexico border at Eagle
Pass/Piedras Negras last night. It was not pleasant at all in these parts,  either.
OED doesn't have "gustnado"? Citations from at least 1992 come from  Texas.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/gustnado_gust_tornado/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/gustnado_gust_tornado/)

Gustnado (Gust + Tornado)

A “gustnado” is a portmanteau of the words “gust” and “tornado.”
Gustnadoes  are short-lived, shallow mini-cylcone formations that develop on a gust
front  along with thunderstorms or showers.

The word “gustnado” has been cited  from at least 1991; its origin is
unknown, but the term is popular in Texas and  other parts of _Tornado  Alley._
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/tornado_alley/)

_National  Weather Service (Morristown, TN)_
(http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/svrevnts/may15tornado/gustnadodef.htm)
Gustnado definition
A slang  term for a short-lived, ground-based, shallow, vortex that develops
on a gust  front associated with either thunderstorms or showers. They may
only extend to  30 to 300 feet above the ground with no apparent connection to
the convective  cloud above. They may be accompanied by rain, but usually are ‘
wispy’, or only  visible as a debris cloud or dust whirl at or near the ground.
Wind speeds can  reach 60 to 80 mph, resulting in significant damage, similar
to that of a F0 or  F1 tornado. However, gustnadoes are not considered to be
a tornado, and some  cases, it may be difficult to distinguish a gustnado from
a tornado. Gustnadoes  are not associated with storm-scale rotation (i.e.
mesocyclones) that is  involved with true tornadoes; they are more likely to be
associated visually  with a shelf cloud that is found on the forward side of a
thunderstorm.

_Wikipedia; Gustnado_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustnado)
A gustnado is a colloquial expression for a type of short-lived,  shallow,
cyclonic circulation that can form in a severe thunderstorm. While it  derives
its name from the tornado, it has little in common with tornadoes  structurally
in terms of vertical development, or in regard to intensity,  longevity, and
formative process (classic tornadoes are associated with  mesocyclones).

The average gustnado lasts no more than a few seconds to  a few minutes each,
although there can be several generations and simultaneous  swarms. Most have
the winds of a F0 or F1 tornado, and are commonly mistaken for  tornadoes.
However, unlike tornadoes, the rotating column of air in a gustnado  usually
does not extend all the way to the base of the thundercloud. Gustnadoes  actually
have more in common with whirlwinds (which include dust devils,  whirldwinds
that form due to superheated surface layers and stretched vorticity,  most
commonly on sunny, warm days with light winds). They are not considered  true
tornadoes (unless they connect the surface to the ambient cloud base) by  most
meteorologists and are not included in tornado statistics. Sometimes  referred
to as spin-up tornadoes, that term more correctly describes the rare  tornadic
gustnado that connects the surface to the ambient cloued base, or to
relatively brief tornadoes associated with a mesovortex.

The most common  setting for a gustnado is on the outflow from a severe
thunderstorm (58+ mph  winds). They are triggered by gust fronts (hence the name)
in thunderstorms. The  cool air in the gust front acts like a mesoscale cold
front, it slices under the  warm air ahead of it, creating upward motions and
turbulent interactions. The  friction from this interaction creates spinning
columns of air, or eddys, which  can create a gustnado (to get the general idea
of this, picture an area of  leaves swirling on a windy day, just on a much
larger scale).

_Google  Groups: sci.geo.meteorology_
(http://groups.google.com/group/sci.geo.meteorology/browse_thread/thread/6cb1afede1138895/a1f3d0e8ac863f88?lnk=st&q=gu
stnadoes&rnum=69&hl=en#a1f3d0e8ac863f88)