Piraha: counting & The Story of One

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Apr 26 14:49:54 UTC 2007

I was away for a while and was very glad to follow the Piraha
discussion. I had heard a bit about it on NPR's Weekend Edition, I
believe. From that story, I was most interested in the lack of
recursion; I wasn't intrigued so much by the counting.

However, the focus of this discussion has reminded me that I saw a
bit about counting in Australian Aboriginal languages in Terry Jones'
_The Story of One_. They had a younger aboriginal talking to his
older uncle and demonstrate how the uncle counted -- I can't recall
the specifics of the counting.

---Amy West