More on "calvary"

Thu Apr 26 14:49:50 UTC 2007

1. Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> obsoived:

> Around here a great many people say "larnyx" for larynx.

I can only make sense of that as visual, not phonological.

2. James Harbeck remembers (in two posts):

I had a linguistics professor who wrote and said mesolect and
basilect but wrote and said acrolet -- i.e., without the c, that word
only.

And yes, I know, that's not metathesis or some other kind of
displacement, it's just good ol' deletion.
<<<

Hafta call that'un dissimilation of the /k/s.

But he baffles me with

 I believe he said that it would "reverberate
against your larynyx" -- so a double-header: reverberate and larynyx.
<<<

"Reverberate" is standard. Did he say something different, like
?"reverberberate"?

m a m