"Re: More on "calvary"

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Sat Apr 28 04:49:57 UTC 2007

It strikes me as more office put-on.  In two years as division surgeon for
1st Cavalry Division (90-2), I don't remember noting it.  Certainly it
wasn't common.  (And I resisted a separate note for a joke earlier:  Maybe
the "3rd Florida Calvery" were veal thieves?)
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Landau, James" <James.Landau at NGC.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:11 AM
Subject: "Re: More on "calvary"

In my Pentagon days I was in an office with several retired Army
officers, a couple of whom were in the Cavalry branch (and one of whom
had joined the Cavalry back when it still rode horses).  All of them
pronounced "cavalry" as "calvary".  It could have been an in-joke within
the office, but more likely it is a common Army usage, common enough
perhaps to be considered part of Army jargon.