MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Apr 30 17:57:07 UTC 2007

        American Pie, the 1999 movie that brought "milf" to a broad
audience, used "mom," but most of the pre-American Pie cites on Google
Groups use "mother."

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of James Harbeck
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 9:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: MILF (was Re: change from the bottom up)

>For me, I think I've heard MILF spoken out almost exclusively as "mom"
>not "mother."

I find this interesting. It's not my experience -- rather the opposite.
And I had always assumed that it was a phrase modelled on the venerable
"motherfucker."

A Google poll gets me 32,500 for full-phrase "mother i'd like to fuck"
and 11,700 for "mom i'd like to fuck"; {"mom i'd like to" MILF} gets
13,800, and {"mother i'd like to" MILF} gets 32,700, meaning that there
are more instances where the vulgarity is left out of the explanation
that use "mom" than that use "mother", but otherwise "mother" is roughly
triple "mom".

James Harbeck.