"Trolling" for "Trawling": An Eggcorn?

Wed Aug 1 16:49:30 UTC 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:05 AM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> "Troll the ancient Yuletide carol"?  I've always heard it as
> "trill."  Can
> you cite a source for "troll" as a type of singing?

OED2:

IV. 10.    a. trans. To sing (something) in the manner of a round or
catch; to sing in a full, rolling voice; to chant merrily or
jovially. Const. forth, out. Cf. ROLL v.2 4b and TROLLY-LOLLY int.
   Perh. originally fig. from 6 = to sing in succession, as a round
or catch (each line being as it were passed on to the next singer).

(with cites from the 16th century through 1977)

1 google webhit for {"trill the ancient Yuletide"}, 3,590 for the
version with "troll".

arnold