"certain" inThe First Noel

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 2 16:59:04 UTC 2007

At 12:43 PM -0400 8/2/07, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Yup. It's a garden path sentence. The catch is that the obvious
>interpretation of "The first Noel", as referring to the first Christmas,
>doesn't work. Instead, I take it as referring to the greeting: The angels'
>first Christmas greeting was uttered to certain poor shepherds.

Ah, so you and dInIs are taking it as "The first
Noël that the angels did say..."!  I always
assumed the parenthetical reading as you describe
it below, although as you convincingly argue this
is indeed hard to sustain semantically.  My
Christmases will never be the same, what with the
new reading of "Noël/Nowell" as an interjection
which serves as the head of a relative clause,
not to mention that troll...

LH