" Olive, the other reindeer"; was Re: "Trolling" for "Trawling": An Eggcorn?

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Aug 2 23:32:14 UTC 2007

Once years ago I stood in front of  a used car lot in Calgary
wondering why Otto's Auto's struck me as mildly funny; then I
realized that for almost ahl Canadians they are homophones. (And
nearly everybody west of the Mississippi, nearly everybody in New
England, and a passle of folk in a band through the middle of the US.)

dInIs, who preserves such treasures of the tongue, by virtue of age and region

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English
Morrill Hall 15-C