lay me down WAS Re: " Olive, the other reindeer"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Aug 5 19:17:32 UTC 2007

>I'm not quite sure what the problem is (if there is one) with "lay me
>down." Is it simply that "lay myself down" is expected? (I certainly
>wouldn't expect "lie myself down.") Its use is hardly isolated to
>that baleful prayer. Among other places, it appears in "Grantchester
>Meadows" on Pink Floyd's album _Ummagumma_ (yes, in the present
>tense, just as in the prayer). It sounds a little precious or archaic
>but not wrong to me...
>
>James Harbeck.

If you were alluding to my "legacy" remark about  "I lay me", I wasn't
finding fault with it, just musing that it probably plays a role in the
"guess I'll go lay down for a bit now"  sort of (erroneous) use that has
become so common.  There are many twists & turns in the confusion between/
lie / &
/ lay /,  with /lain/  and /laid/ becoming casualties that might never recover.
AM