Final call for papers: ADS 2008 Chicago

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 7 15:47:12 UTC 2007

At 11:29 AM -0400 8/7/07, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>Frank,
>
>Is this the prescriptivist's recommended reversal of 'shall' and
>'will' when "strong determination" is intended (as your caps might
>indicate), or it simply a thumbing of the nose at the
>prescriptivists' recommendation for "shall' after first persons? Such
>items belong to an "I can't tell what you're up to" category. For
>example, "never" is apparently standard in "I never went there" for
>"At no time in the past did I got there" but nonstandard for "I
>didn't go there." There must be more.

"whenever" (standard when you're quantifying over generic events [=
'on any occasion when', 'at whatever time that'],
nonstandard/mountain/southern/Scots-Irish derived [the last pointed
out by Michael Montgomery] when used episodically [= 'on the
particular occasion when'])

possibly--depending on how elastic the boundaries of the category
are--"anymore" (in negative/negative-like vs. unlicensed contexts)

LH