Link to NY City Council "Bitch & Ho" Resolution

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Aug 7 21:05:03 UTC 2007

On the contrary, I take Fielding's satiric joke to be based on the fact that "whore" is obviously a MORE offensive epithet than "bitch"--a joke about foolish and pretentious notions and practices of decorum.

Is it possible that Grose's entry is based on his misunderstood of Fielding satire?

The "regular Billinsgate or St. Giles's answer--'I may be a
whore, but can't be a bitch'" seems to play on the difference between "whore" as literal (therefore true) and "bitch" as figurative (therefore untrue, impossible).

--Charlie