FYI: ProQuest's Historical Black Newspaper Collection

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 8 17:13:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> Back in January, ProQuest promised the Amsterdam News (Harlem, NYC) by
> =20 summer 2007. Well, it's August 6th (my birthday); I wrote to
> ProQuest. Does=20= anyone=20 have access to it? What's the first "Big
> Apple" (I'd looked at each issue=20 many years ago)?

1931 _New York Amsterdam News_ 29 July A10 (ProQuest Historical
Newspapers)  This is the last lap of John H. Campbell's turf up and down
doings.  "John, what was your biggest betting coup while you were a knight
of the pigskin?" asked I.  "Let's see, I guess it was in '69 -- I was head
jock for Old Man McCormack, my first year around the "Big Apple" (New York
tracks).

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986