The earth v. Earth (UNCLASSIFIED)

Montgomery Michael ullans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 8 17:18:13 UTC 2007

For detailed information, click on "About DSL" in the
left-hand panel.  The bulk of the work was funded by
the Arts and Humanities Board Resource Development
Scheme.  Further small grants helped incorporate
supplementary material and add search features.  The
site is now maintained by Scottish Language
Dictionaries Limited in Edinburgh, the successor to
the Scottish National Dictionary Association.

The project itself was headquartered at the University
of Dundee.  Some of the original SND and DOST text was
scanned, some was keyed.  I am not clear how much of
which, but the task of proofreading the result, with
the innumerable spelling variants in Scots, required
an army of folk.  (By this token, one is reminded that
conducting searches of the electronic dictionary, even
the headwords, requires some knowledge of Scots
spelling).

SLDL do hope to enhance the site over time through
adding material from on-going collection programmes.
Anyone interested in this subject should make
arrangements through the SLDL homepage to become a
member and keep up with developments.

Michael

--- "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>