The earth v. Earth (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Aug 8 21:16:53 UTC 2007

Michael,

Crappie, muskie, and flounder have two syllables in the singular;
bass, perch, pike etc... have only one. That's what I meant. Addition
of an 's' sometimes creates a new syllable (basses) sometimes not
(pikes), but its the multisyllabicity of the base I was after.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Montgomery Michael <ullans at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: The earth v. Earth (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>Hey Dennis
>
>Don't perches and basses have as many syllables as
>crappies, muskies, and flounders?
>
>Or are you going to remind me that you are an exile in
>a land of bad arithmetic, where somehow a conference
>having eleven schools is called the Big Ten?
>
>Michael
>

>--- "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> wrote:
>
>>  ---------------------- Information from the mail
>>  header -----------------------
>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society
>>  <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
>>  Subject:      Re: The earth v. Earth (UNCLASSIFIED)

>>  Yeah, I like the variation in "game animal" plurals
>>  too.
>>
>>  I shot two
>>
>>  bear/s
>>  deer/s
>>  partridge/s
>>  quail/s
>>  elk/s
>>  etc...
>>
>>  versus
>>
>>  I saw two
>>  bear/s
>>  etc....
>>
>>  The 's' plurals are all better for me when I see
>>  them rather than shoot them.
>>
>>  BUT, for me, almost all fish plurals are bad,
>>  catching or seeing:
>>
>>  I caught/saw two
>>  perches
>>  basses
>>  pikes
>>  etc...
>>  UGH!
>>

>>  BUT the more syllables the better:
>>
>>  I caught/saw two
>>  crappies
>>  muskies
>>  flounders
>>  etc...
>>  (not too bad)
>>
>>  dInIs, who, just like all you minimalists out there,
>>  is becoming more
>>  and more convinced that there's a load of
>>  information in the lexicon
>>
>>  >---------------------- Information from the mail
>>  header
>>  >-----------------------
>>  >Sender:       American Dialect Society
>>  <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  >Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>>  >Subject:      Re: The earth v. Earth (UNCLASSIFIED)

>>  >
>>  >And then there's "I caught two fish / fishes."
>>  >
>>  >Joel
>>  >
>>  >At 8/8/2007 02:08 PM, you wrote:
>>  >>Michael,
>>  >>
>>  >>I think this is counting noncounts, as in "two
>>  rices" (i.e., two
>>  >>different styles of rice), but maybe not. You seem
>>  to like it for two
> [...]

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English