the 1966 "nine yards" audience listed

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Aug 9 11:07:03 UTC 2007

Thanks for your comments, Doug, if I may call you that, sir, while observing
that your posts here are to me often among the most interesting from any list
entity.

Your alternate hypothesis of "...a list nine yards long...a list as long as your
arm" appears to be a bit of a stretch, for most arms, and, frankly, less
stringent logic or less high-quality "wool-gathering" than I've come ordinarily
to expect from you. It does not address the observation that the earliest known
uses do not well conduce to clarity with linear measure yards. It does not
account for the apparent twentieth-century U.S. orgin, one that calls for a new
thing, something that technology, say defense contracting, supplies, say,
ambitious, assembly-line welded inelegant but numerous and world-war-winning
ships made at nine hastily-constructed new shipyards (since the Navy had
already booked up the old ones). And when might another spurt of this U.S.
technology and defense contracting come with a spurt in the use of the phrase,
borrowed from WWII: post-Sputnik era, perhaps? (BTY, coincidental trivia: Land
worked with Joseph Kennedy on the Maritime Commission; JFK boosted space
defense contracting.) So, instead of a putative unattested-as-relevant long arm
equivalent to U.S. 8 1/2 by 11 inch pages of some mixed number, we have an
attested 1942 "the whole nine yards" which rather resembles the so-far 1964ff
"the whole nine yards." (Again strikes Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote?)

good morning,
Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson