Correction of "Physicist" in OED

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 9 11:45:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Stephen Goranson wrote:

> Henrietta Temple: A Love Story By Benjamin Disraëli (Paris: Baudry's European
> Library, 1837) p. 39.
>
> "...yet Dr. Garnet, a chemist and physicist of some note in his day, who
> travelled in the Highlands in 1798, repeats and adopts Pennant's statement of
> the volcanic origin of the hill...."

As I thought, this is some random error on the part of Google Books.  The
citation actually appears to be from the Transactions of the Glasgow
Archaeological Society, post-1868.  Google Books often seems to
erroneously link a title with content from some other book.  The user of
Google Books, like the user of Newspaperarchive, has to be more than just
a searcher, he or she needs to bring a sense of what is plausible and what
is not plausible to the search.  Most results I get on Google Books I
reject without a moment's thought because I know it isn't plausible as an
antedating.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986