the 1966 "nine yards" audience listed (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Aug 9 17:10:54 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

First of all, to the extent that I haven't been "collegial or
constructive", that was not my intention.  Should the mystery of the
origin of "full/whole nine yards" ever be resolved, I think ADM Land's
statement should be reported as an interesting precursor.

I don't, however, believe it is part of the origin for this reason:

I know of no other slang/figurative expression which had its origin in
WWII and remained otherwise unknown in print for 20 years.  Even obscene
expressions (SNAFU and the like), which one would expect to remain
"underground", are traceable immediately thereafter.

I'm not an academic or professional in linguisitics, etymology,
lexicography, or the other related fields that get discussed on this
list.  I am only an "amateur philologist" (as Fred Shapiro recently
referred to me in an article about Murphy's Law).  But I've learned how
to do the sort of research that will eventually solve this puzzle.  I
don't think a literal usage, twenty years before the first known
figurative usage, is significantly more informative than other known
20th century literal usages simply because it comes from a military
context, as most of the earliest figurative usages do.  If it were
closer in time, maybe.  (If a late 1940's figurative usage from a
military context were found, that would immeidately lend weight to your
ADM Land citation).  Likewise, if other literal uses between WWII and
1962 from a military context were found, and could be related to ADM
Land or that hearing or naval shipyards, that would also tend to bolster
your theory.  But they are not known, and may not exist.

Having said all that, your discovery is still interesting to me.  I'm of
the opinion that new words and usages often grow, instead of appear.
I've spent a good deal of time trying to antedate words and phrases that
appear in Jeff Prucher's _Brave New Words_, and often found that
science-fictiony senses of words/phrases grew out of mundane senses that
had previously appeared, and that the decision as to which usage was the
first in an SF context could be somewhat arbitrary.  If that is the way
that "full/whole nine yards" grew, then it is important to document
literal usages that appeared prior to the first figurative usages.

But continued attempts to push ADM Land's statement in 1942 as relevant
to a figurative phrase whose earliest uses show up 20 years later have
to address that 20 year gap to be persuasive, at least to me.  And
pointing out the importance of the hearing, or noting a common military
context, simply aren't sufficient.  There has to be some sort of
interdating, either of literal usages that are traceable to Land, or of
figurative usages, which have a military context.

Collegially, and hopefully constructively,
Bill Mullins