Turd Blossoms in Texas?

Darla Wells dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Mon Aug 13 14:46:10 UTC 2007

My stepmother is from Atlanta, Texas, near Texarkana and she called all of us
kids "fartblossoms" growing up. That would have been in the late 60's or so,
and she still uses the term.
Darla

With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince. With science, you can turn a
frog into a Ph.D and you still have the frog you started with. (Terry Pratchett)

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Bapopik at AOL.COM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:02:44 EDT
Subject: Turd Blossoms in Texas?

(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/browse_thread/thread/45d3bd0fb799e27/d34b040d6e48705a?lnk=st&q=&rnum=5
> 0&hl=en#d34b040d6e48705a)
> Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
> From: Ben  Zimmer
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:31:40 -0500
> Subject: Re: Rove’s nickname?
>
> Turd Blossom.
>
> Time Magazine had no qualms printing it:
> _http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,107219,00.html_

(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php?URL=http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1072
19,00.html)

> An explanation is given in “First Son: George W. Bush and the Bush
>  Family Dynasty”, by Bill Minutaglio:
>
> “Everybody must have a nickname,  and the spin doctor has a
> quality nickname, Turd Blossom — as in  wherever-he-goes-something-
> is-sure-to-pop-up.”
>
> _Google  Books_
>
> (http://books.google.com/books?id=ChXd7GeqlToC&pg=RA1-

PA138&ots=zywGyJpcLW&dq="turd+blossom"&ei=tO6_RoWCFofI6wKtzY3qAg&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=Fnj
BXRNDa-D14GvFIy3YJCpeISk)  Boy Genius: Karl Rove, the Brains Behind the
Remarkable  Political Triumph of George W. Bush by Carl M. Canoon, Lou Debose
and  Jan Reid Public Affairs 2003 Pg. 138: Somewhere along the line,  after
they moved to Washington together, Bush began alternating Rove’s “Boy
Genius” nickname with another, less flattering moniker: “Turd Blossom.”
It seems  fitting enough, given Rove’s modest background (a turd blossom is
a Texas  expression for a flower that grows out of a cowpie), but Rove shrugs
in some  embarrassment when asked how Bush came up with this.

------- End of Original Message -------